Thursday 28 November 2013

What's it gonna take to sell you on the next Galaxy S device?



Samsung's Galaxy S line almost seems like it's been destined to be popular since the arrival of the very first one back in 2010. Whether it's the strategic and aggressive marketing campaigns that they've always had , having a great flagship device or just being in the right place at the right time (likely all three), Samsung's Galaxy S devices have rapidly gone from zero to hero these past few years and it looks like it's here to stay - at least, that's the hope. But how long will Samsung be able to keep up with this charade of being "King of Android"? Only time is able to tell, but from the patterns of things it would seem that the Galaxy S line is due for a change sometime soon before things start rolling downhill for the South Korean company.
That's a pretty bold assumption to say about the company that's figuratively smashing the life right out of many Android OEMs with their massive sales numbers. As of right now, it would seem that there is no real indication that the Samsung train to Successland is slowing down, but I do have to admit that I'm personally starting to wonder how long this will last given that the Galaxy S line seemed somewhat untouched this past year. The Galaxy S III and the Galaxy S4 really weren't all that different from each other aside from some improved specs. It worked a lot like the Apple iPhone line works - identical (or in this case, nearly identical) bodies with upgraded specs. And for a while that worked very well for Apple, but even now we can see that interest in the iPhone is dwindling. It might be dwindling slowly, but it's happening.
So I'm thinking that the Galaxy S 5, or Galaxy S V, or whatever they plan on calling the next generation Samsung device is going to have a lot of oomph to it in order to make it sell. I'm sure that if they kept the same or similar body that they'd still do alright, but I have a bad feeling that if they kept too much the same that people might be willing to jump ship to something else at that point. In particular, I'm talking about the body of the device.
I know, I know. We've heard it all before. Half of the people will say they hate the plastic, meanwhile the other half is rooting for it. Not everybody is going to be happy. But Samsung has had the whole plastic thing going for a few years at this point, and I really think that specifically the body of a Galaxy S device is due for a change, preferrably an upgrade. Honestly, I would even think that something similar to what the Galaxy Note 3 had with its fake leather backing (still made out of plastic, but still) might keep some of that spark in the eyes of all who are watching Samsung. However, I am admittedly a fan of aluminum and would be happier than peach pudding if I could see a Samsung Galaxy S device in a beautiful metal housing. Is it indestructible? No. As an owner of an HTC One, I can say that my phone does show a tiny bit of wear and tear where the paint has been scuffed on an edge or two. I haven't dented my device yet, and if I had gone with the silver version the scuffing wouldn't even be an issue. But even if my device had a couple of dings in it, I can safely say that I would much rather be dealing with that rather than housing that cracks. Plastic is strong, to an extent, but aluminum is stronger.
Aside from that, I'm thinking that maybe TouchWiz is due for a change as well, but in my opinion that comes second to a hardware revamp. And maybe it's too soon to assume, but I already have faith that Samsung will feature all of the latest and greatest when it comes to specs - they haven't exactly skimped on those recently, I'll give them that. I never have an issue with the specs that Samsung uses or thinking that the device will be short on features. But just like many people agreed that Apple needed to revamp the design of their software, the masses seem to be speaking in favor of a revamped hardware from Samsung's Galaxy S line. As long as it's done correctly, I think that it could end up keeping the Galaxy S name at the top. It just needs to stay fresh; we've got too many manufacturers growing stale as it is.
But that's just what I think - what about you, readers? What would it take to get you to get pumped about the next generation Samsung Galaxy S device? Spring is just around the corner, and if past events indicate anything we're just a few months away from seeing what it really is. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment